Release Notes for ASNA Wings 188.8.131.52
Released to GA July 11, 2014
NOTE: Monarch and Wings pages with subfiles using Fold/Drop should be republished to their websites if the WebPak 10.2.39 is loaded on the web server.
What's New in Wings 5.2
Wings Design Aid
- Wings 5.2 introduces Wings Flight Plans, a powerful, fully integrated utility that greatly facilitates bulk modernizations. Flight Plans enables or assists:
- Reviewing an overview of Program and Display File usage.
- Applying "tags" to Program and Display file sources to help organize the bulk migration process.
- Bulk conversion of RPG/400 to RPG/ILE (using the CVTRPGILE command).
- Automated incorporation of the HANDLER keyword into RPG/ILE source files on the IBM i system.
- Large-scale conversion of Display files to ASPX pages.
- Bulk exports of converted ASPX pages, including the INDARA keyword and other Wings-related changes, back to the IBM i.
- Display file conversion
- Improved control over which messages are treated as warnings or errors during the process of importing display files, allowing users to decide which specific errors or levels of severity warrant halting the import process.
- The DDS keywords SFLLIN, CNTFLD, and BLANKS are now supported as well as the ‘ER’ option for the CHECK keyword.
- Because of these enhancements and some bug fixes, if you re-import a display file that you have been using with Wings 5.0, you may need to re-export the display file and recompile the RPG program because the new keywords will generate a different Format ID.
- Attention Key support
- ATTN key behavior can be supported in your Wings application by adding the Monarch DdsButton control to the appropriate Wings ASPX files. Select “ATTN” from the AidKey property.
- RPG Feedback Area
- Wings now returns the lowest Subfile relative record number displayed in the uppermost Subfile display area in the WorkStation I/O Feedback Area at positions 378-379 of Display Specific Feedback Information data structure.
- Improved Subfile Behavior – Support of subfiles has been greatly improved by a number of features supported by new properties in the ASNA Monarch Framework.
- The Active Subfile Record tracks the movement of the mouse pointer, highlighting any row the pointer is hovered over. (CueCurrentRecord property).
- Clicking on a row in the subfile will select it, highlighting it distinct color and focusing on it until the user clicks elsewhere (ClickSetsCurrentRecord property).
- Double-clicking on a row can simulate a function key press, accessing additional information or allowing the user to set the field to a new value (DblClickKey, DblClickTargetField & DblClickTargetValue properties).
- Subfiles can now show a scroll bar to simulate the behavior of the PgUp and PgDn keys (VerticalScrollBar property).
- 5250 Terminal Emulator
- Dup key is now supported for dup enabled fields (Ctrl + F6)
- For a complete listing of supported keys, please refer to Terminal Emulator Help or 5250 Terminal Keyboard Mapping.
- Interactive Job Support
- Wings now supports mandatory programs and menus for User accounts with Limited Capability.
- Users can now assign a name to the device used for the interactive job.
- Internationalization Support
- Wings now uses a .NET standard globalization and localization support system using the APP_GlobalResources folder and .resx files.
- Wings now includes walkthroughs for a number of specific, often very useful, improvements that can be made to Wings Applications.
- Adding a field to a Display File
- Making F4 Prompts Clickable
- Replacing a DdsCharField Control with Radio Buttons
- Changing the Placement of the Function Keys
- Replacing an Input Selection Field with a Checkbox
The old ‘Web.Config’ appSettings way has been made obsolete.
If you have installed other ASNA products from our 10.1 and 5.0 product families (e.g. Visual RPG 10.1, Monarch 5.0), please remove them prior to installation, or upgrade them before or after upgrading to Wings 5.2.
Only one installation of Visual RPG, Windows Deployment, or DataGate WebPak may be installed on a single machine; you can't have two or more of these products installed concurently on your machine. The Windows Deployment and WebPak components are subsets of what is contained in the AVR installation package. The 10.1 versions of the installation program and the versions prior to 10.2.15.0 did not prevent this condition from occuring. If you have more than one of these products installed currently on your machine, please uninstalled them before proceeding with a new installation.
If you have installed Wings 184.108.40.206 or earlier, please uninstall ASNA Framework Help before installing this 5.2 release.
ASNA Wings is composed of several items, some of them are used exclusively at design time, others at design and run time, there are items installed on the Windows machines and there are others installed on the System i.
Installing Wings 5.2 will automatically remove any current installation of Wings 5.0.
These are the ASNA components used at design time:
- Wings Design Aid 5.2 (WDA). The WDA package includes DataGate client, Terminal Emulation support, Wings support and Visual RPG support.
- DataGate 10.2 for System i (includes the Wings Handler).
- ASNA Monarch Collector 3.1.
For run time, the ASNA components needed are:
- DataGate WebPak (includes DataGate client, Terminal Emulation support, Wings support and Visual RPG support)
- DataGate 10.2 for System i (includes the Wings Handler)
The download packages on this page include the components for WDA, Monarch Collector and WebPak. The downloadable package for DataGate 10.2 for System i can be found here.
Installing Microsoft's latest service packs, high priority and optional software updates for Windows, the .NET Framework, and Visual Studio 2010 is highly recommended.
Warning - Do not uninstall Visual Studio 2010 without first uninstalling Wings. Doing so can cause severe errors in your Wings installation.
WDA has been tested on the following operating systems:
- Windows 7 32 and 64 bits
- Windows Vista 64 bit
- Windows XP Mode (on Windows 7) 32 bits
- Windows XP 32 bits
- Windows Server 2008 32 and 64 bits
- Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bits
Before installing WDA, please ensure the Windows machine is equipped with the following:
- Windows XP or newer
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - ASNA Wings Design Aid requires a licensed copy of Microsoft Visual Studio Premium, Ultimate, Professional. You can also use the Visual Studio Integrated Shell but your experience in C# or VB will not be as good as with the other versions.
- (If you wish to use a newer version of Visual Studio, you must use Wings version 6.0 or higher)
- At least one of these programming languages:
- ASNA Visual RPG 10.2
- Visual C# 2010
- Visual Basic 2010
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Windows Installer 4.5 or above. In general, you will have to install this Installer from Microsoft if you are running a version of Windows older than Windows 7. To obtain the Installer visit the Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable page
- A supported Web browser (see below)
On the System i, you will need the following:
- IBM i 6.1 or higher
- IBM's Rational Open Access: RPG Edition
- OAR is available for free on V6R1 and V7R1, but ensure you have the required PTFs from IBM for the RPG compiler installed. As of March 2013 these were:
- For V6R1, PTF SI45904; For V7R1 TGTRLS(*CURRENT), PTF SI45903; For V7R1 TGTRLS(*PRV), PTF is SI45902
- ASNA DataGate for IBM i version 10.2. Download.
- ASNA Monarch Collector version 3.1.008.0 - Installation instructions for Monarch Collector can be found here: http://devnet.asna.com/documentation/Readme/Monarch41_Readme.htm#Installing_Monarch_Collector
Supported Web Browsers
ASNA Wings may be used with many different browsers. However only the following versions have been tested and are officially supported:
||Tested Version |
Licenses Needed for ASNA Wings
ASNA Wings requires license keys on the Windows and System i machines.
On the developer Windows machine apply these license keys (Using the Registration Assistant):
- Wings Design Aid 5.2 (Look under Monarch on the Registration Assistant tree)
On the System i apply these license keys:
- DataGate 10.2 for System i [ use the ==> DG8installationLibrary/REGISTER LICENSE(*SRVR) command ]
- Wings Handler [ use the ==> DG8installationLibrary/REGISTER LICENSE(*WNGS) command ]
Limitations of 5.2
This build 5.2 of Wings has the following limitations:
- Do not install ASNA Wings 5.0 on a machine which has installed AVR or DG versions 8.x or 9.0. Additionally, on a Windows XP machine, do not install if you have AVR or DG 9.1 on it.
Required IBM i SYSVAL and User Profile setting required for Wings 5.2
The following System Values are required:
- QMLTTHDACN: 1 or 2
- QRMTSIGN: *VERIFY
Limitations of IBM Rational Open Access - RPG Edition
- Handler support limited to ILE RPG (RPGIV) only. All other languages are excluded at this time, including CL.
- An Open-Access file cannot be a program-described WORKSTN file.
For more details, please see Chapter 6 in the document link below:
Differences in Format Level Identifiers
There are several display file features that are handled differently in Wings than on the IBM i with respect to the layout of certain fields in record formats, this differences cause the Format Level Identifiers used in Level Checks to be different for files exported by Wings and those created directly from pure DDS. The normal development cycle for Wings ensures that this differences do not cause any problem. This cycle follows these steps:
- Import Display File DDS into Visual Studio
- Optionally make modifications to the ASPX file created
- Export the ASPX back to the IBM i onto a library for Wings exported Display Files
- Add the HANDLER keyword to the RPG ILE program that will use the new ASPX as a workstation file
- Compile the RPG ILE program ensuring the exported Display Files library is found first in the library list by the RPG compiler
Some of the DDS features that cause Wings to generate different Format Level Identifiers are:
- The usage of fields for row/col on the WINDOW keyword.
- Using a field for the WNDTITLE keyword.
- On Subfile Controller formats used on message subfiles, using the SFLPGMQ keyword on a field other than the first one of the format.
Note - If this software is downloaded via Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or 10 you may receive a message stating that this file "is not commonly downloaded" when attempting to install it. In this event click the View Downloads button, select the ASNA product to install from that list, and confirm that you'd like to install it.
Similarly, attempting to install the software directly through Microsoft Windows 8 may cause a "Windows protected your PC" message to appear. In this event click the small More Info prompt on the left, and click Run Anyway on the following window.
Issues Resolved Since GA release 220.127.116.11
Monarch Web Controls
- Case 15743. Going from protected to unprotected state loses tabindex.
- Case 16025. DdsDecDateField does not return correct decimal definition.
- Case 16078. DropdownText does not dispaly the Value text when protected.
- Case 16082. SFLCSRRRN implementation (DdsSubfileControl property SubfileCursorRecord) is not implemented correctly.
- Case 16200. Submit Wait 2 second animated GIF does not show on Chrome with Blink engine (Version 28+).
- Case 16202. Using DblClickKey propery without DblClickTargetField and DblClickTargetValue on a subfile with only constants reports RRN = 0.
Visual RPG Runtime
- Case 15096. Provide a public method to the myjob class which would end the program(s) without ending the job.
- Case 16025. DdsDecDateField does not return correct decimal definition.
- Case 16118. Cannot read decimal data area with DataArea_In command.